Educational Technologies supports the meaningful use of technology to improve teaching and learning. With a focus on both pedagogical design and technology innovation and excellence, Educational Technologies staff:
- engage in relevant academic- and technology-oriented conversations, decisions, and initiatives so as to make positive contributions;
- facilitate the use of existing resources and infrastructure for the sake of quality, consistency, and efficiency, and;
- research, design, and implement new educational technology innovations when feasible.
Principles and Practices
The guiding principles and practices below reflect Educational Technologies’ approach in meeting and above mission and working with the university community to improve teaching and learning within a framework of educational technology.
- Diverse staff represents experienced educators, technology experts, and support personnel who specialize in teaching and learning with technology. Staff members are available to consult and collaborate with faculty members, academic units, and other groups to discuss the needs, resources, and strategies to address various learning environments and challenges.
- Educational Technologies takes an approach that educational technology should be used to promote excellence and innovation in teaching and learning – not as an end unto itself.
- Educational Technologies works with individuals and groups in whatever manner best suits the desired learning goals and technology resources available; this process often takes into careful consideration the skills, principles, and teaching style an instructor employs to facilitate a course.
- Educational Technologies respects the unique voice that the faculty bring to each course based on their experiences, teaching styles, content requirements, and the needs of his or her students. Educational Technologies facilitates a flexible, customizable environment for faculty to make the most appropriate use of several different types of educational technologies.
- Educational Technologies recognizes the limits a busy schedule can place on faculty time and encourages faculty members to view courses as works in progress which are in a state of continual revision. This often means starting out small and building a complete course or program over time.
- Educational Technologies assists individuals in investigating and learning new educational technologies. If Educational Technologies staff do not have the current expertise, they will make an effort when possible, to learn along side faculty to take full advantage of new and specialized technologies.
- Educational Technologies assists faculty in assessing the effective use of educational technology. This process may result in subsequent modification of the current use of technology and/or identifying different pedagogical strategies to facilitate the most effective learning environment.
Membership & Committees
Educational Technologies is a part of many campus and nationwide conversations on teaching, learning and technology.